Friday, January 21, 2011

Spiritual Epiphanies and Kroger

Life has changed drastically in the Uebel household over the past few weeks. And I'm not exactly sure why, well ok maybe it's due to this cute little face :).


Last night over dinner I told Nic it had been a rough day. You see I have this little problem called worry, especially when it comes to finances. And yesterday when all the hospital bills and insurance premiums started rolling in I started to panic. As I saw numbers flashing before my eyes, I started to hate the fact that everything costs money. I have this list that seems to be constantly growing of things I want but unfortunately as mentioned before cost money.

Like the iPhone that Verizon is about to release, I mean I've been waiting FOREVER for it so shouldn't I be able to get it after being soooo patient for so long? Or a newer car, I know it's hard to believe but 1996 was a long time ago and notice I only said newer not new? Reality bit me in the butt last night, hard. I am responsible for this new little life now, whom I love very much don't get me wrong, but I can't do everything I used to do anymore and I can't have everything I want either. That's a hard pill to swallow. I told Nic, "It's like I'm being forced to grow up only I thought I had already done that."

And here's where Kroger comes in (in case you're wondering). After dinner Nic volunteered to stay home with the sleeping baby so I could have some time to myself, at Kroger of all places. An important thing to note here is that I haven't been to Kroger in over a month and because all of my attention has been dedicated to Sadie lately I've forgotten that Thursday nights at a college town Kroger are for beer runs.

So the place is dead except for the beer cave and checkout stations. I'm still walking around humming "It's the Hard-Knock Life " in my head and declaring it my theme song my entire Kroger visit. So I pay for my groceries and head out the door. It was freezing last night so I pull my cart over to put on some gloves and a cute college girl walks past me toting a 24 pack of Bud Light. And that's when I realize it- I'm probably only five years older than her but there is a world of difference between the two of us, in fact that seems like a lifetime ago to me(not that I made beer runs in college but you get the point). And what's even better is that's ok- I love my life now, I wouldn't trade anything to go back to that time, even if that means not getting everything I ever wanted and giving up a few things along the way.

There is always joy in our lives, sometimes to quote Disney's The Princess and the Frog, "we just have to dig a little deeper" to find it. Thank you God for the many blessings in my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment