Saturday, January 11, 2014

Five Things Friday: January 10th Edition

Obviously I started this post yesterday but didn't get around to finishing it.  So here are my five things Friday on this Saturday morning :).


1.  On Thursday evening Nic had a meeting at our house so I took Sadie out on an ice cream date to the local Dairy Queen.  It was pretty quiet in the place with the occasional DQ patron stopping by every five minutes or so.  There was also a TV so we were taking in a little Reba with our sundaes (which by the way, that show makes me miss cable).  Anyways, a commercial for Pillsbury Cinnamon Rolls came on with the Pillsbury Dough Boy.  After it went off, Sadie in her loudest, most inquisitive 3 year old voice said "Mommy, who's that white guy?"  After I picked my jaw off the floor I realized who she was talking about and in my loudest, most clear voice said "Oh, you mean the guy on the commercial?  That's the Pillsbury Dough Boy silly girl."  I had to have some kind of redemption.  The girls working behind the counter just laughed.  I feel like we've got some great material ahead of us for Kids Say the Darndest Things

2.  I started reading Bob Goff's Love Does the other night.  So far I highly recommend it.  It's a really easy read & thought provoking.

3.  I mentioned Sadie started preschool this week.  Well, I guess you could say that, she's only been one day so far, STILL.  Anyways we made quite the impression on our first day.  Monday was the first day of the bitter cold arriving and of course when we got to school (eager beaver mama was ready to GO) the doors were still locked.  So we waited outside for a bit, I made Sadie check the door again, and eventually other parents and their wee ones joined us outside in the cold.  We were all trying to protect our young from the harsh elements as best we could, when one of the other moms had her daughter try the door again, and what do you know?  It was open.  Way to help your kid make new friends April.  I wanted to scream "It was locked, I swear it was locked" but it was no use, the concerned stares from all the other parents said it all.

4.  Thursday afternoon, while coming home from a play date, I'll admit I kind of made a bone-headed driving move.  As soon as I did it I regretted it.  But unfortunately for me the dump truck driver who my decision impacted was not looking to show me mercy that day.  I looked in my rear view mirror and started to freak out, seriously it felt like my life was flashing before my eyes.  And meanwhile Sadie was in the back seat going "What's wrong mommy? What happened?"  By the grace of God, we didn't get in an accident that day.  And I spent all afternoon a bit shaken up but praising God that he does show us mercy!

5.  I'll also admit that over Christmas break I've been binge watching TV on Hulu Plus a little.  The Mindy Project may be my new favorite show.  But one show that I am absolutely done with is Downton Abbey.  I think Nic thinks I'm kidding when I shoot him the "stinkeye" every single time he asks me about watching this season.  Oh no son, fool me once Downton (or kill off a lovable main character), shame on me, fool me twice- well you know how the saying goes.

Happy Weekending!              

No comments:

Post a Comment