Thursday, September 15, 2011

You gotta choose: spontaneity or busyness?

Sometimes I'm full of brilliant things to say and I'm amazed at how wise I sound (note the sarcasm here) but sometimes I eat those very words.

Back in the spring I had a conversation with some college gals about spontaneity. I encouraged them to look for opportunities to get away from their schedules and simply participate in something that brings them joy. They all laughed at me and said "Ok let me just pull out my planner and schedule a time for that." To be honest I put the thought aside since summer was coming and the pace of life slows down significantly for campus ministry. But now that we're back to the busy season I'm wondering what I did with my own advice?

I hate saying I'm too busy because the truth is, life is always busy and everyone is busy. I think, let me restate that, I know, that I use that excuse way too often. Sometimes I think I even pride myself on the fact that I'm busy. It's like there's some kind of unspoken social hierarchy based on how busy you are. If you're not doing anything, something has to be wrong with you, at least that's how I treat it.

But when we're so busy scheduling life we don't have time to simply enjoy it. Before long we're worn down, overwhelmed, and fed up with it all (aka how I'm starting to feel). Don't get me wrong I know life requires a schedule, nothing would ever get done if we did whatever we wanted all day long but I'm also realizing that there may be some things I just have to let go. If the laundry sits in the washing machine for a few days it's ok, it's nothing that another little spin around the washer won't take care of. Instead of fretting about "what I should be doing" or "need to do" I'm going to try and find some time to enjoy life, whether it's 5 minutes or 5 hours. If it's blogging, sitting outside with a cup of coffee, going for a run, or zumba-ing, I've got to do something. After all my sanity and the sanity of those around me depends on it. What do you do to find joy in the middle of this busy life?

1 comment: