Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Hitting the Trail

I've had an on and off experience with running over the past few years of my life. Until I graduated from college and started getting more and more out of shape, you wouldn't have been able to convince me to run for exercise outside of sports for any amount of money. As I came to realize how badly I was out of shape (and how dangerous it was getting to my health) and how few opportunities I had to exercise through sports, I figured I'd give running a try. At one point, I was running 3-4 times per week after work and got myself into pretty decent shape. April and I have started training to run a 5k a couple of times since we've been married, but have never actually completed one.

I certainly don't consider myself a runner, and I doubt I'll ever get to the point where I can say that I truly enjoy running, but I do see it as an effective and necessary means of getting the exercise I need. This summer, I want to get back in the habit of doing it regularly. One of the great things about where we live is that the head of the Huckleberry Trail, which is one of the nicest public running trails I've ever used, is right by our house. It goes between Blacksburg and Christiansburg - I'm not sure how far because I've never had the endurance to get beyond the five mile marker. April and I have both been running on the Huckleberry this week. Here's hoping that we can keep this up, build up our endurance and overall health, and enjoy the outdoors!

No comments:

Post a Comment