Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Summer Reading List

I'm trying to catch up on some reading this summer since that was one thing that I didn't make time for this school year. I feel disorganized about my reading list because I've started a bunch of different books and don't know which I'm going to finish first. I always just seem to grab the book that's closest to me when I feel like reading. Here are some I hope to finish by the end of the summer:
  • UnChristian by David Kinnaman. We saw this author speak at a conference this year. He is the president of the Barna group, who does research about how people think and act in terms of religion and the church. He has done a lot of research about the perception of the church among those outside of it in the younger generations, and wrote this book out of that research. Not only is his research interesting, but he has a good heart and challenges the church to respond well to the criticism being spoken against it.
  • Irresistible Revolution by Shane Claiborne. April has been reading this book and has thought a lot about what the author has to say. He lives in Philadelphia, which makes this extra-interesting to me, having lived there and seen the difficulties and problems he describes in the book.
  • How to Read the Bible for All Its Worth by Fee and Stuart. I've read parts of this book, but would love to read all of it and take some time to think about how it applies to the Bible studies I prepare and teach.
  • God, Marriage, and Family by Andreas Kostenberger. I've heard this book recommended by multiple people whose opinions I trust. It is a long discussion of all the biblical texts dealing with marriage and family issues in the light of how these things look today. My perception is that the stances it takes are a little different from the way I usually view things, but I'll be glad to have a fuller understanding of these issues from reading this book. This is a subject I'd like to do more study in, both for the sake of my marriage and family, and since I'm around college students who are always asking questions about marriage and getting married.
  • The Pilgrim's Progress by John Bunyan. Always wanted to read this one, and I picked up a cheap copy from Amazon recently.
I'll be sure to post some reviews and thoughts once I get into them. I got a bit deeper into UnChristian yesterday, and am now committing to finishing that one first. We'll see how much I actually get done this summer - it's hard for me to read at night right now because I'm too hooked on watching the NBA playoffs. If anybody has any other suggestions, please let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment