Saturday, November 20, 2010

Staying Home

Due to April being in the last stages of her pregnancy, we decided to stay here in Blacksburg for Thanksgiving break this year. This will be the first time in my life that I haven't traveled to be with family for Thanksgiving. We will be cooking and hosting Thanksgiving dinner here at our house. April's parents are going to come visit, and April's language partner, who is a VT graduate student from China, will also join us for dinner, along with her roommate.

I'm excited to help cook Thanksgiving dinner for the first time. I've cooked turkeys before, but we will be making a few staples that I've never tried before: mashed potatoes and real turkey gravy, real green beans (cooked with bacon!), and pecan pie. We had a "Southern" Thanksgiving dinner with our Homegroup (church Bible study group) this week, and April and I made collared greens and fried okra. Staying home for Thanksgiving is really giving us a great cooking lesson - I've already been on the phone with my mom a couple of times for help!

No comments:

Post a Comment