Monday, November 8, 2010

With the few snowflakes we saw here in Blacksburg on Friday and everybody talking about it on Facebook I can't help but start to think about Christmas. I've gotta admit that everytime I walk past Christmas paraphernalia in a store I get just a little bit excited and I have to walk the other direction to avoid buying some little snowman/reindeer/substitute any little cutesy thing really.

Yesterday afternoon I was sitting on the sofa telling Nic "I just want to go buy something. I don't care what. I just want to go shopping." Its moments like these where I realize I'm not quite as non materialistic as I like to tell myself I am. And then today I was reminded of Advent Conspiracy, a movement that encourages us to: Worship Fully, Spend Less, Give More, Love All.

The thing I appreciate about AC is they clearly state on their blog-We’re not Scrooge. We love gifts. We just think you should give gifts that actually mean something, rather than gifts that’ll make the rounds at the next white elephant party.

So I've been thinking a lot today about my need to buy more stuff and how God is calling me to respond to him through it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment